Change to large font
1. Alas, and did my Saviour bleed,
and did my Sovereign die?
Would he devote that sacred head
for sinners such as I?
2. Was it for sins that I have done
he groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity, grace unknown,
and love beyond degree!
3. Well might the sun in darkness hide,
and shut its glories in,
when Christ the great redeemer died
for fallen creatures' sin.
4. I, too, in shame would hide my face,
while that dread cross appears;
dissolve my heart in thankfulness
and melt mine eyes to tears.
5. But drops of grief can ne'er repay
the debt of love I owe;
here, Lord, I give myself away:
'tis all that I can do.
Go to Search page